An Open Letter to My Freshman Students (Genre Reflection 2)

An open letter to my freshman students, 
I remember the first day I met you all like it was yesterday. If memory serves correct, my stomach was in knots and my mind was racing a mile a minute. I felt like I was beginning my high school journey all over again. I was worried about my reputation as a student teacher; would I be liked; would I be good enough? That’s right. Those questions never really go away.
As the bell rang that morning and you found your way to the classroom, I stood nervously at the front and took a deep breath. Ready or not, the day was starting. 
I told myself that my nerves would not get the better of me, and as we began to introduce ourselves, I started to relax. It struck me that I was not the only one feeling those complex emotions or thinking those thoughts. You were all just as nervous, if not more so, than me! In that moment we were kindred spirits, hoping for the best on our first day. As the class period came to an end, I remember smiling to myself thinking, this year will be the best one yet
As this semester comes to an end, and I think back on that first day, I am unbelievably thankful that I am able to take this journey with you, my first freshman class. Thank you. Thank you for welcoming me into your lives this semester. Reflecting back on where we began and where we are today, I know what eventually calmed me down, what silenced those nervous thoughts. 
You did. 
You made the difference. 
Your smiles.
Your genuine curiosities.
Your highs and lows. 
Your trust in me as we learn together.
I will remember this semester and the lessons you taught me as I continue to pursue my passion of teaching.  
I want you to know that the stress that came with this final semester before full time student teaching was a lot to take on. Plus, all of the additional course work that I had made me feel extremely overwhelmed at points. 
But every day with you made me a better human being and a better teacher. You challenged me and encouraged me every day. I wouldn’t change this experience for anything. I wouldn’t trade you for anything. We’re kindred spirits, remember?
            Next semester will be difficult, I’m sure, but I’m excited to see how we are challenged and how we are encouraged. Each day is an opportunity for growth, and you taught me that. I’m nervous and anxious for next semester to begin. And at the end, we will have survived your freshmen year together.
And what a difference a year makes. 
Until next semester, 
Ms. Wofford

Comments

Post a Comment